April 10, 2007

Mentally Maths

Sidetrack:I won't be doing any post regarding my birthday celebration and Good Friday celebration today.sorry to disappoint all of you with no picture post.I'll try to post it tomorrow.


Yesterday my colleague passed me a Primary 6 challenging sums for us to solve.Having quite a strong mathematics foundation,I tried to solve some of the questions.I was shocked to see myself stuck at some of the questions.I fact,I took 1 hour plus to answer one of their questions.

It's not that I'm stupid or what(yeah,right...excuse right Mr Wei Liang?),it's how to derive an answer in a Primary school way.You can't use advance algebra,simultaneous equations or Venn diagram.All you can use is just simple block pictures,ratio or fraction that's it.

Anyway,after passing the questions to my brother to solve,my feeling is coming back.At last I can now do some questions in a non-Secondary way.

My brother is not really strong in his mathematics,but he's expert in solving Primary school mathematics,which happens to be my opposite.I remember it was he who taught me all the maths so that I can pass my PSLE mathematics with an A(He got an A*).

I remember during my Primary school days,my mathematics was terrible.It's so terrible that I always flunk my mental sums and CA test.It's not even a borderline fail,it's those kind of 30/100 kind of score.Same goes to my English,but I shall not elaborate further.

There's this time during the mid-semester test,I was unable to finish all my questions inside the paper,with 5 over questions untouched.I pleaded the teacher for some more time and I even cried in front of him.When I think of it,it was so embarrassing!In the end I don't get what I want,only his encouragement to do better.

When I got back my result one day,I was happy that I got 60 points for my paper.After this incident,I'd learned my lessons from my brother:Skip the questions you don't know,do some simple working,at least you'll score 1 point for that.With this,I managed to get 70(can't remember)and is the top mathematicians in the class(and you know how terok is our maths).

Actually,the fun of doing maths will be the kind of satisfaction when you got the answer.It's like trying to find the mystery behind every "story".I thought of doing maths in my degree,but in real society,maths don't provide you with alot of jobs.your chances will be higher only if you study economics with maths.

If only my interest in English is there,I won't have problem writing reports.In business,report writing is important.

0 comments: